Friday, August 10, 2012

Beavers?

Yesterday I was inspecting my corn, driving the long perimeter between the corn field and the river in the Ranger, when I saw something odd:  a large section of corn had been taken down and eaten, and a long trail of corn stalks ran from the corn patch to the river.  Here are some photos:







At first I thought it was raccoons, but that didn't explain the cornstalks trailing away into the river.  So what else could it be?  Muskrats?  Maybe, but I'm not sure that a muskrat would be big enough to bring down a cornstalk.

Could it be a beaver?  Maybe.  The folks at Fish and Wildlife have told me that the Chaplin River has beavers.  But will beavers eat corn?  Turns out that they will.  So maybe we have a beaver or two living at the edge of Chaplin Bend.  I'll take a game camera down there when I get a chance and see if I can catch them in the act.


No comments:

Post a Comment