Saturday, September 1, 2012

Dove Hunt!

Almost 4 months after planting the dove field in early March, we held the first dove shoot at Chaplin Bend today.  And it was great!  I was joined by son Wes (son David had a wedding today), friends John, Don, and Mike, John's son Ballard, and Don's brother Dave.  Eveyone had a great time.

The field performed fantasticly.  There were many hundreds of doves, with increasing numbers as the day went on.  In fact, the best shooting was from around 4 to 5:30 in the afternoon.  If any of us could shot, we all would have had limits.  As it was, John and Ballard got 14. Wes got 12, Don and Dave got about 10, and I got... fewer.  After hitting my first shot, I couldn't hit anything for several hours.  Finally late in the day I got the hang of it.  

Next year we'll start later--perhaps after a lunch on the cabin porch.  And I think we could have more folks--the way the field lays out we have plenty of room for 10 or 12 shooters. 

Later this week we'll be baking dove pot pies.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment