Sunday, May 6, 2012

Quail

One of my objectives for Chaplin Bend Farm is to develop a healthy population of quail. To accomplish that I'm planting 60 acres or so or native grasses and windflowers, creating more edge and cover habitat, and developing food plots. But all of that will only work if there are quail around to take advantage of my work. Well yesterday while I was working down by the farm I heard, for the first time at Chapln Bend, the familiar "Bob White" call of a male quail! He was calling on the hill across the valley from the barn--one of the sites where we'll be planting native grasses in a week or so. Needless to say I was encouraged to know that there are at least a few quail around. Here's hoping for a thriving population a few years down the road.


No comments:

Post a Comment